So I’ve Got a Problem: What’s next?
Knowing what’s going on is 1/2 the battle. Unfortunately, simply “standing up straight won't give you a permanent fix or the ease, relaxation, and confidence of naturally effortless posture.
We will be posting helpful hints and exercises over the next few weeks. However, if you really want or need to get serious we suggest:
- Attend the shoulder focussed 101 - you can decide then if we are right for you sign up
- Take a couple of shoulder focussed Private Lessons. Call 770-2639 to schedule.
- Attend the Deep Core Toning Classes where we teach exercises that treat the causes of forward shoulders. see schedule
- Rolfing - Studio One Pilates is the Largest Rolfing Clinic in the world. Our Rolfers have an average of 15 years of experience. We are so confident in their skills that we offer a money back satisfaction guarantee. Try Three sessions and if you are not satisfied we will return your money. meet our Rolfers
- Medically Supervised Manual Therapy - Call us to see if you can get Manual Therapy sessions or supervised exercise sessions covered by your insurance. 770-2639
Everybody knows that they have “bad posture” and that they have to “stand up straight”. However, for most people with shoulder and neck pain that is caused or exacerbated by poor posture, this typically will not work.
What is naturally good posture? This is the effortless good posture that requires little if any thought. It looks and feels easy, light, and graceful. It IS NOT a (forced?) HABIT that you use to beat yourself to death...However, for most people with shoulder and neck pain that is caused or exacerbated by poor posture, this typically will not work.
If you have poor posture and you need a permanent fix for that posture it can take some time and energy but the journey is worth it. Simply “standing up straight” won’t give you the sense of control, confidence, grounding and relaxation that comes with naturally good posture.
What is naturally good posture - this is the effortless good posture that requires little if any thought. It looks and feels easy, light, and graceful. It IS NOT a HABIT that you use to Beat yourself to death...
To fix posture using exercise we use VASIE pilates which uses 2 distinctly different workouts to create a postural and conditioning fix:
DCT: Deep Core Toning.The most precise and valuable core workout developed. Goal: strong, stable joints, strong core, reduce, and eliminate pain.
You will start with slow, precise, movements that are timed to your inhales and exhales. This is a lot like what you will see with a good dancer doing their warm-ups at the barre. Very slowly, precisely, and with a lot of focus and intention. This program safely creates the conditions for alignment and strength in the joints.
If you are athletic you and have little pain you will do this as infrequently as twice a month. People who have had a lot of injuries will often do these workouts almost daily, in addition to their other routines, to condition the postural muscles that help them to stay out of pain.
Strength & Flexibility Workouts: After a few DCT classes, most people are ready to take the body to a bit more range of motion and work things a bit harder. ISF classes are actually a different type of VASIE workout. While you get to workout harder, you can also let loose a bit more, the precision drops a bit and the work gets more fun.
Strength & Flexibility workouts depend on you having excellent stability and solid DCT skills. However, since the classes are different, you can take both at the same time and learn the different skills as you progress.