🦴Anatomy of Elbow Bends
Elbow bends are a great exercise and work deep and superficial muscles in the body. Some muscles, like pecs, biceps, triceps are easy to feel and automatically strengthen and tone as you do elbow bends. Other muscles are less intuitive to activate, like your legs and glutes and low abs. Another muscle that really reshapes your shoulder girdle and is sometimes difficult to locate and work is serratus anterior.
- Deep Core Muscles: Pelvic Floor, Transversus Abdomins
- Inner thighs
- Calves will feel a stretch
- Muscles on the front of the shin
- Serratus Anterior (our featured muscle, learn more below)
- Triceps (back of the arms)
- Forearm muscles
- Pecs (chest)
- Upper back muscles
- Stabilizing muscles of the neck
Does it seem like we listed every muscle in the body? just about! Elbow bends is a whole body exercise! Images of Serratus below.
- The serratus anterior muscle is a fan-shaped muscle at the lateral wall of the thorax. Its main part lies deep under the scapula and the pectoral muscles. It is easy to palpate between the pectoralis major and latissimus dorsi muscles.
It originates on the top surface of the eight or nine upper ribs. 
It inserts exactly at the front border of the scapula, or shoulder blade. The muscle is divided into three parts :
- Upper / Superior : 1st to 2nd rib → superior angle of scapula.
- Middle / Intermedius : 2nd to 3rd rib → medial border of scapula.
- Lower / Inferior : 4th to 9th rib → medial border and inferior angle of scapula.
- The function of the serratus anterior muscle is to allow the forward rotation of the arm and to pull the scapula forward and around the rib cage. The scapula is able to move laterally due to the serratus anterior muscle, which is vital for the elevation of the arm. The serratus anterior muscle also allows the upward rotation of the arm, which allows a person to lift items over their head. When the shoulder blade is in fixed position , e.g : breathing after a sprint , the serratus anterior lifts the ribcage and thus supports breathing.
💡Tips & Modifications
🧪5 Scientifically Proven Benefits Of Push-Ups
- by John Staughton (BASc, BFA).
- from: https://www.organicfacts.net/push-ups.html
As one of the most common and popular calisthenic exercises, push-ups are an excellent way to strengthen and shape numerous parts of your body at the same time. At their most basic, a push-up is an exercise that raises your body from a prone position on the ground to an elevated position using the strength of your arms.
These globally popular exercises are used everywhere from schools as a measure of base athletic ability to an endurance activity in military academies. As with other calisthenic activities, push-ups rely on the weight of the body to provide the resistance that makes the workout difficult. Before you make push-ups a daily part of your health, it is important to understand the proper form, and which type of push-up may be best for your goals and physical ability.
Benefits of Push-ups
Push-ups have a huge range of benefits, including positive effects on your core, deltoids, pectorals, triceps, forearms, biceps and your calorie-burning, among others.
Push-ups are excellent for shaping the abdominal muscles and improving muscles of the lower back, which will increase support and balance in your body.
Your deltoids are attached at the front, side, and rear of your shoulders, and are important supplemental muscles to the performance of a push-up. More deltoid strength can increase flexibility and strength in your upper arms.
If you want to build your chest muscles, nothing is better than push-ups, as the chest muscles do most of the work in this exercise. This helps women and can elevate their bust and counter the strain of their breasts on chest muscles.
Triceps, Biceps, & Forearms
Three different arm muscles are engaged in push-ups, and while they are not directly targeted with this exercise, they can still reap the benefits of increased strength.
Push-ups burn a lot of calories because you are engaging multiple muscle groups at the same time. Studies have found that by engaging more muscle groups simultaneously, your fat and calorie-burning can increase significantly.
📺 Online Classes
Workouts For Smart People on the Go
- Results Focused Studio One Workouts
- Currently: $10/Month. No Contract, Cancel anytime.
- Unique Studio One Cues, Corrections & Workouts
- Get Your 1st Month FREE. Use FreeMonthOnline code during checkout!
Master-classes are two-hour plateau busters that help you reach the next level of integration, tone, strength & confidence!
Master-classes are the heart of your learning and education at Studio One. They provide the opportunity to really slow down and learn a profoundly new way of changing your body through exercise. Every master class is carefully designed to help you get several “ah-ha” moments.
VASIE Movement University is a series of weekend intensive classes that go through the entire VASIE Pilates repertoire. It is created with the goal of sharing the deep knowledge that Studio One instructors & Rolfers® know and have with every client. We believe that the skills you learn and transformations you make here at Studio One Pilates are for life.
- See you in class